Re: WCBS off time...

Despite the mere 9W (assuming the station is operating in compliance with
its license), I can get WJLT at night in Arlington using my Super Radio III
barefoot. I don't suppose anyone uses VU meters anymore (OK, Bob Bittner
still has a couple of analog VU meters on the WJIB console), but if there
were an analog meter reading the positive-peak modulation levels when WJLT
is on night power, I would not expect to see the needle to move off 125%
very often. It's one of the most grossly (and I do mean grossly)
overmodulated signals I've ever heard--but it gets out.

Must be 15 miles as the crow flies from 100 Mt Wayte Ave to where I live on
the Arlington-Lexington line half a mile north of Route 2. Since I've never
been able to pick up WJIB in Framingham at night on a car radio, I did not
expect to be able to pick up WJLT at night in Arlington. Of course, WJIB's
nominal night power is only a little more than half of WJLT's, WJIB's
antenna is less efficient, and it might be a couple of miles further as the
crow flies from Fresh Pond Circle to Framingham than it is from where I live
to Framingham. I doubt whether the Super Radio is more sensitive than a car
radio.

On my car radio last night, I picked up WBIX after Philadelphia sunset along
Route 2 between Waltham St and Routes 4 and 225 in Lexington, but the
station faded out slightly east of Waltham St. It might have been the strong
signal from WAMG only 90-kHz away swamping the receiver's front end, but
WBIX did not come back once I got to Dow Ave, which is far enough from the
WAMG site to be out of the area where front-end overload is likely to occur.
I think WBIX truly did fade out, although I suppose that it might have
signed off in the two minutes or so it took me to drive from Lexington St to
Dow Ave.