Re: Newspaper article on WHCN format change

From: "Bill O'Neill" <billo@shoreham.net>

> I'd be curious is there is a statistical relationship to TSLs and
> rotation rate.

Most definitely.

The tighter the rotation....the shorter the TSL.

Usually the shorter TSL is made up for in increased cume.

There are stations that are built on Cume...(Kiss, Jamn, WBZ, etc.)..and
stations that are built on TSL...WMJX, WCRB, the old WJIB...most stations
are a good balance between the two.

Although, it certainly depends on rotating the right songs the hottest, etc.
(Rotate the wrong songs in hot rotation and you are in a "death spiral".)

Over the last 25 years or so, I believe the current thinking (on stations
which try this strategy...top 40, CHR, etc.) is that the shortest rotation
before you start imploding is about 2-1/2 hours.  Thats playing one of the
"top 10" most popular songs every 15 minutes.   A few stations have tried to
go as low as 1-3/4 hours...but again, that's pushing it...and big trouble if
you are playing the wrong songs.  (1-3/4 hour rotations mean that you are
playing the same song 4 times between say, 6PM and Midnight...ouch!)

I think there are times when a you might go to a shorter
rotation...i.e...there is a KILLER song that is so freaking hot it's burning
up the phone lines...or when new product is seriously lagging...then I think
you might go a week or two with a tighter rotation.

Or in a competitive situation...when you are trying to outdo the guy across
the street.

$.02