Re: 'bos Custom Radio Service

The "WBOS Custom Radio Service" is an application that plays streaming
audio over the 'Net. It does not, however, play the station's signal--
so you're not actually listening to WBOS, you're listening to music that
fits their format & is from their playlist, on an application branded
with their logo. Then you can click on artists, titles, etc. to buy the
albums, or you can rate the songs so that they never play again or
rotate more heavily in your own playlist, etc. A college friend of mine
who used to do mornings in Denver is now working for XACT Radio, the
company that provides this service--

http://www.xactradio.com

  They have a list of stations using the service on there as well. I'll
ask him for more info on what's up with 'BOS.
It doesn't cost the station anything, & doesn't cost the person
downloading anything, and they claim to be making money off the
advertising that comes up in the player... though with the state of the
banner ad revenue model these days, I can't imagine how that's raking in
any worthwhile money. Then they give a percentage of that money back to
the station which is supposed to be the incentive for stations to sign
on to providing the player.  There's an odd thing about the player,
though- they offer a bunch of different streams (classical, jazz, hip
hop, AAA, etc.) and you can switch the player to any of them, so you
don't actually have to listen to the format of the station branding the
player- which is great as a user, but tends to dilute the promotional
effect of the player.

-TC Cheever