Re: I Read the Classifieds So You Don't Have To

<<On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:30:18 -0500, Larry Weil <kc1ih@mac.com> said:

> The only thing that has happened here is that an application has been
> filed.  Nothing has been accepted or approved.  Applications for
> nonsensical things are filed all the time.  I wouldn't worry about it quite
> yet.

I wouldn't necessarily call it nonsensical.  There is no allocations
reason why WBPX could not operate on channel 32, and Paxson is
probably getting a great deal of money for channel 68 if the FCC
approves the change.  I assume that WBPX would be required to
demonstrate that they are able to operate ATSC on channel 32, so that
when the time comes, they are ready.

There's already been at least one instance where this has happened
with an NTSC construction permit, except in that case the station went
on the air as a DT and relied on must-carry to get their signal to
analog viewers (which makes a good deal of sense in some markets where
cable penetration is high and the original NTSC CP was for a rimshot
signal anyway).  It's a quick way for the licensee or permittee to get
some cash to build the station, since the FCC agreed on both
must-carry and on permitting existing non-core-allocation stations to
sell their spectrum rights prematurely.

-GAWollman