Re: Today's LTAR

--- Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
> <<On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 09:38:00 -0800 (PST), Bob
> Nelson <bobonradio@yahoo.com> said:

> That would be the 050 sorting center, if I'm not
> mistaken.  I always
> thought it was pretty odd that 05001 would be in
> some
> not-particularly-important place

The 050 General Mail Facility is in White River
Junction because it's kind of centrally located-- mail
can go up north via I-91 to the Northeast Kingdom,
northwest (I-89) to Montpelier and Burlington, west
(US 4) to Rutland, southwest to Bennington, and south
(I-91) to Brattleboro AND they also serve much of New
Hampshire's "Upper Valley"-- zips that start with 035
to 037.

The facility in White River Junction is on Sykes
Ave., right off US-5 and very near to I-91 and
I-89. Also, there's an airport in nearby New
Hampshire. And yes, rail might have also played into
it.

I will say that the Burlington main post office (which
I think is at the corner of Elmwood and North streets)
is a fairly big facility compared to most, but
certainly not as big as W.R.J.'s. By the way,
Burlington, VT may be Vermont's biggest city but
population wise, it's about the same as Beverly, MA
(about 35,000) and the whole state has about as many
people (500,000) as the city of Boston. And
Montpelier,
with about 12,000 people, could well be the smallest
(in population) state capital of all.

Like Cliffie on "Cheers", we postal workers have a
wealth of trivial knowledge! :)