Re: Today's LTAR

Well, there may be signs on I-91 that say "Bellows
Falls" or "Wilder" but they are technically villages
in their respective cities.

I have a Vermont map ("Vermont Travel Guide" put out
by The National Survey of Chester, VT and it shows all
the cities/towns and you can see "Hartford" and
"Rockingham" are the names of the towns and the
villages are included within the towns, but Hartford
and Rockingham are the actually names of the towns.
This is also mentioned in a book, "Touring Vermont's
Scenic Roads". Author Ken Aiken points out that
Rockingham has the villages of Bellows Falls and
Saxton's River. He says Bellows Falls does have its
own government, but Saxton's River uses the town
government of Rockingham. But even though Bellows
Falls does have its own government, it's still
technically a part of Rockingham.

There are other cases of "villages" within towns.
Hyannis and Osterville (where my dad lives) are
both villages in the town of Barnstable, MA. You might
see "Hyannis" on a highway sign, but Hyannis is not
a city/town on its own.