Re: Carrying a big stick #2 Arb

On 21 Feb 2002 at 15:16, Dan Billings wrote:

> They do use questionable methodology and a small sample size.  The sample
> size could be larger, but I do not know of alternative methods that would
> be more accurate.

Size of the sample isn't as important as the sample being representative.
Remember the story about the North American Review.  It took a very large
poll of its readers and concluded that Landon was going to defeat
Roosevelt in 1936.  Many people at the time made fun of the small sample
used by the Gallup organization, but Gallup, with its much smaller
sample, predicted the Roosevelt landslide.