Re: Daniel Pearl

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Smyth" <Sportswriter@dejazzd.com>
To: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 8:52 PM
Subject: Daniel Pearl

> A few weeks ago, when we received the first reports of Mr. Pearl's death,
> Dan Billings speculated that the media may be sensationalizing the Pearl
> case since it's one of their own. While deeply saddened to hear of his
> death, and while feeling sympathy for his widow, unborn son and other
family
> members, after watching CNN's coverage I am leaning more in Dan's
direction.

I think sensationalize is too strong.  My opinion is that the media has
given the story more coverage than other deaths because it is one of there
own.  I suspect the family members of military people who have been killed
in the region have a hard time understanding how Mr. Pearl's death rates
wall to wall coverage and the death of their family members rates only a
brief mention.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine