Re: Tradeouts

> Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 08:00:12 -0500
> From: "Dan Strassberg" <dan.strassberg@att.net>
> Subject: Tradeouts
>
> On a local message board a discussion has been raging about a local station,
> which I will not name, that allegedly accepted merchandise in trade for
> airing spots and then sold the merchandise to listeners over the air using
> spots that the advertiser did not purchase (either through cash or trade).
> The merchandise was something other than basic foodstuffs, gasoline, heating
> oil, or phone service. In other words, it was not something that the station
> could have distributed to employees in lieu of part of their salary.
>
> Posters on the message board are incensed about the station's allegedly
> unethical conduct.

Dan, if you're talking about the Boston Radio-Info board, I'd hardly call
that a "discussion", and that "posters on the message board are incensed".

I believe that there was likely only ONE poster using a number of different
log-in names carrying on a ONE-PERSON, one-sided tirade about this alleged
activity, who, when asked by the moderator, never could provide any factual
references or backup for this allegation.

The only thing that any other (real) posters became "incensed" about was
having to repeatedly read this one multi-named person's repeated unfounded
rants. It was never known whether this alleged activity did indeed happen,
or if so, whether it was actually anything like what this raver kept
repeatedly posting (in all caps every time).

For well over a year there have been posts popping up occasionally on that
board (usually in all caps) with a different log-in name each time slamming
that particular relatively small locally-owned radio station with insults
and unfounded libelous accusations. I speculate that it's all likely one
person, and that this was his latest tack.

At one point about a year ago in the middle of his usual unfounded ranting
accusing this station of various schemes, this person let it slip out in a
post that he had worked for this station (or on a program which the station
aired) a couple of years before, and how he was "let go". It seems to me
like probably someone who allowed a chip on his shoulder to crush his life.

Eli