Re: WBUR (was:RE: ratings)

At 12:19 AM 1/21/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I strongly second that. Special Coverage seems designed to make sure that
>everyone who listens comes away depressed.
I think it's more that Chris Lydon was so boisterous that even depressing
topics sounded lively.  Dick Gordon just isn't like that.  I kinda like
Dick, he's a good host...although one thing he is NOT is Chris Lydon.  I'm
mildly annoyed that they insisted on keeping the same name and theme (both
musically and design) because, frankly, the show is just not the same at
all anymore.  Better or worse I won't make a judgement on, but it's sure as
hell not the same.

Special Coverage is a totally different beast though, it was created to
address an extremely depressing topic (Sept.11th) and it hasn't found it's
way out from under that shadow yet.  Realistically, it CAN'T get out from
that shadow yet...and it will take a long time before SC does start slowly
branching out into other topics...and even then those topics will be
terrorism-related.  It was created specifically to inform people about
terrorism and it's related topics.   By definition, that's not going to be
light and sunny programming.

Plus, and this is the editor in me really coming out, I feel strongly that
SC *should* be harping on these topics.  For way too long the US has
allowed itself to think that we're above the rest of the world and not only
don't we have to worry about these things, but that it'd be beneath us to
worry about it.   That kind of elitist, narrow-minded thinking has got to
stop if we want to avoid global chaos within the next 50 years and that
means we've got to wake up to reality around us.

That said, I would *also* argue that WBUR has gone way-overboard with the
talk shows.  We now have eight solid hours of call-in talk shows every
weekday.  **YAWN**  Can we PLEASE dump something and get a little
heterogeneity back into the schedule?  Take out TOTN, or the Connection
re-broadcast at night. SOMEthing, please!!

>And for those who say that 'GBH-FM carries the financial show (sorry, I'm
>blanking on the program name)

"Marketplace" with David Brancaccio

Aaron "Bishop" Read       aread@speakeasy.net
Fried Bagels Consulting   www.friedbagels.com