Re: Some WBUR history

> Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 14:15:51 -0500
> From: "Aaron 'Bishop' Read" <aread@speakeasy.net>
> Subject: Re: Some WBUR history
>
> Funny thing is, from the clippings I've read - WBUR was really a farce of a
> radio station for many, many years.  If it actually wasn't, then a lot of
> folks in print media decided to portray it as one.   All the way up until 1973
> or so, when Jane Christo came on board, and really turned thing around in 1976
> with the construction of the BU-LAW tower and a power increase to 50kW.

I remember hearing WBUR in the late 60's/early 70's. They were a college
station with access for some community people with eclectic programming
(mostly jazz and classical, but many other varieties of music, ethnic
programs, very "alternative" public affairs and talk shows, etc...).

Of course it wasn't the corporate "success" Christo made it, but what's
"farcical" about a good alternative college station?

> WECB's website claims they went on the air "fifty-three years ago" ... they
> briefly had an illegal AM transmitter setup that got them as far as Jamaica
> Plain - at least that's the rumor...

If I remember correctly, it was 1970. I could hear it faintly in Newton,
well enough to understand the announcer and identify the song playing. We
even had a hill in the way!

Eli Polonsky