Re: WFLY and the Empire Network

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:18:42 -0500 SteveOrdinetz <steveord@bit-net.com>
writes:
>I recall reading somewhere that in the 60s many of the Knight FM
stations (WGIR, WTSV, maybe others) >relayed network programming on one
of the subcarriers.  Any truth to this?

Steve is right.  In the early sixties The Knight NH network regularly fed
programming and spot feeds via their subcarrier between Portsmouth,
Manchester, Claremont and Lebanon.

During my days at WGIR in the late 70s/early 80s, KQS maintained its own
weather center at WSRS Worcester.  Roger LaPlante, Art Douglas, Dave
Watts and others fed forecasts via the WSRS subcarrier and it was picked
up in Fitchburg (WEIM) and Manchester (GIR).  Portsmouth was too far away
for reliability.  I don't know if WSAR could utilize it in Fall River.
After a while we abandoned the system because at certain times of year
the feeds sounded like the forecaster was in the middle of a crackling
campfire.  We also carried eityher the Celtics or Bruins via WBZ FM's
subcarrier; sometimes even the home games sounded like they were far
away.

The KBR Good Neighbor Network also used subcarrier (WKBR FM's) to send
programs to Claremont and Lebanon when they owned WTSV and WTSL.  They
also fed Bill Morrissey's 6PM news to WKBK Keene, WTSN Dover and possibly
WEMJ Laconia.  This would have been in the first half of the sixties.

Ed Brouder
Man From Mars Productions
www.manfrommars.com
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!