Re: Custom Versions of Songs (was Some WBUR history)

Dan Billings wrote:

>>--- Brian Vita <brian_vita@cssinc.com>
>> wrote:

>>Anyone remember the custom versions
>> of this song that he did for different
>> makets?

>Has anyone heard custom versions of
> the current country hit "Private Malone"
> by David Ball. WPOR has a version that
> replaces a line that says something
> about that oldies station comes in strong
> with the WPOR comes in strong.

That makes no sense at all. The song is about a guy who buys a '66
Corvette that belonged to a soldier who died in Vietnam and finds that
the ghost of Pvt. Malone is riding with him. According to the song, the
radio doesn't work very well, but it picks up the late night oldies show
just fine. That makes sense, since Malone would be listening to music
from 1966 and before. Why would the radio work especially well with a
contemporary country station, which probably doesn't play anything from
before _1996_?

The customized versions of "Fire" (I was in the Mid-South at the time,
and the one I heard had the call letters of Memphis' legendary
W-H-B-Q.), "We Built this City on Rock and Roll" and "Heart of Rock and
Roll" never bothered me. But you don't ruin a country song that tells a
story (a rarity these days) just to get your call letters in.

Howard