Re: NHPR leaves NHAB

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Beckwith" <beckwith@ime.net>
To: <bri@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 7:28 AM
Subject: NHPR leaves NHAB

> New Hampshire Public Radio has resigned from the New Hampshire Association
> of Broadcasters citing NHAB President Al Sprague's endorsement of gambling
> as a means of paying for education.

The President of NHPR said in a written statement that NHPR does not take
positions on public policy issues and believes that the actions of the
association puts the objectivity of NHPR's news at risk.  I think that is a
huge stretch and NHPR's actions are a huge over reaction.

First, nearly every trade association takes positions on public policy
issues -- that's one of the major reasons that such organizations exist.
The Executive Director of the Maine Association of Broadcasters spend a lot
of her time at the State House lobbying legislators on issues of importance
to the association's members.  Has NHAB not traditionally engaged in
lobbying?  Second, no one assumes that all members of any association agree
with or endorse the positions taken by that association.

NHPR could have protected its objectivity by putting out a statement
explaining that they do not endorse NHAB's actions.  They could have
broadcast the statement, put on their website, and included it in their
member newsletter.

I am suspicious that there is something else going on here.  To me, this
action makes me question NHPR more than the actions of NHAB ever would have.
There is nothing wrong with NHPR dropping out of the organization, but their
explanation doesn't ring true to me.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine