Re: Some WBUR history

I can't count how many threads I've seen (and posted to) on K calls east of
the Mississippi and W calls west. There are quite a few of each--three K's
in Pennsylvania alone, two of which are in one city--Pittsburgh (not only
KDKA, but also KQV, which is even rarer because it's a three-letter K call).
There are more W calls west of the big river and even a Web site devoted to
them, although I can't recall the URL. For sure, there must be dozens of
examples of calls on the "wrong" side of the river in Minnesota and
Louisiana alone. Minnesota is quite easy to understand, because there are
places that are neither east nor west of the river but north of Lake Itasca,
which is the putative source of the Mississippi. Now, the Twin cities are
NOT north of Lake Itasca but I believe that two legndary stations there are
on the "wrong" sides of the river. Isn't Minneapolis west of the river and
St Paul east? Well, WCCO is in Minneapolis and KSTP is in St Paul.

Other Western Ws I can think of off the top of my head are WACO. WOW, WKY,
WWLS, WJAG, WHB, WBAP, and WOAI. There are quite a few others, even if you
don't count any stations in MN or LA.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205, eFax 707-215-6367