RE: Question about legal IDs

For an AM at night, reaching the COL is defined as
putting a signal greater than 26-dB above the RSS of the
interfering 10% skywaves over at least 80% of the land
area of the COL. From a posting a few days ago by
Keating Willcox, who owns WNSH, I very much doubt
whether this is the case for WNSH. No doubt it would
have been the case had the applied-for night array
worked within specifications, but Keating says that the
night array didn't work at all and, as a result, WNSH is
operating nondirectionaly with just a few watts at night.

If Keating intends to continue operating WNSH in this
manner, the station will remain a Class D AM, which it
always has been. Class D and Class C AMs are guaranteed
no interference-free nighttime service.

Remember too that the United States is still notified by
Canada of the long-dark CKLM 1570 in Lavalle PQ near
Montreal. That means that, although La LM doesn't
currently exist, Canada can reactivate a 1570 assignment
in or near Montreal at will. If such a station rises
from the dead, it will put such a huge nighttime signal
into the Boston area that I doubt whether WNSH's
interference-free nighttime contour will cover its
ground system. Should that happen, I assume that Keating
will decide to put WNSH to bed when the birds bed down
for the night.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205