From:    dan.strassberg@att.net
To:      "Joseph Pappalardo" <joepappalardo2001@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: WODS jingles, songs-in-a-row
Date:    Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:56:44 +0000

Well, once KHJ became KKHJ, it took years and a special
dispensation from the FCC to change them back.

Hopefully, WOR won't change. The station is sort of a
living museum of old-time radio.

Until the early 60s, when WOR moved its Tx from Carteret
to Lyndhurst, it not only had a three-letter call, it
used a long-wire antenna that first went up in the late
20s, I believe. The antenna had been modified, probably
in the 30s, to become a three-element DA, in which the
two end towers were the original supporting towers of
the long-wire and the center element was the wire that
fed the long-wire. The long-wire itself became a top-
load for the center "tower." There is one more such
converted long-wire that I know of. It's stil running at
1260 in San Fernando CA, a suburb of LA.

I don't know whether it was luck or good planning that
resulted in the Carteret towers being oriented so that
when converted to a DA they produced a null to the
southeast to keep from wasting coverage over the
Atlantic and a null to the northwest that protected CKVM
in Ville-Marie PQ, a legacy co-channel station that WOR
must protect, not to mention lobes over New York and
Philadelphia. In the 40s, WOR used to boast that its
nightime signal reached 36 million people in 18 states.
That was more people than any other station claimed--
albeit in fewer than half the number of states.

Not only that, but WOR's studios at 1440 Broadway, have
remained at the same location since sometime in the
late '30s, when the station--then licensed to Newark NJ--
first opened "auxiliary" studios in New York.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205