Re: WODS jingles, songs-in-a-row

On 10 Jan 2002 at 10:31, SteveOrdinetz wrote:

> Actually, it was the success of KHJ & KFRC that convinced RKO-General to
> switch their stations to Top 40.  I can't imagine Arko was more than a
> curiosity for the few teens who had FM radios in 1966.

I seem to remember a newspaper item to the effect that ARKO had done
surprisingly well and had motivated the changeover.  But then, what they
told the press may not necessarily conform to reality.

> As I recall, once WRKO got established, WRKO-FM/WROR played essentially
> the same playlist as WRKO, only automated & jockless outside of simulcast
> time.  Did they get rid of Arco when WRKO debuted?

I believe they continued ARKO for awhile, for the time that they were
required to have separate programs.  It continued until the FM became
WROR and had completely separate programming.

I think the change to
> When did WBZ-FM go with the automated Top 40?  I seem to remember it as
> early as 1972.

I'm not sure, but I think it may even have been late 1971.