RESEND Re: WODS Drake TOH ID gone

Please ignore the previous version.  It was incomplete and
untimely wrenched from my desktop by an overzealous
Bill Gates product.

Lou wrote:

 > The changes they have made at WODS are definitely for the better.  I
> like the modified playlist, though they could probably open it up a
bit
> more.
Better for whom?  Older listeners or WODS' ratings.

> I really like the way the airstaff sounds, the way they are talking-up
> songs,  maybe adding a bit more personality.  (I truly believe that
they had
> one of the lamest-sounding airstaffs that I had ever heard, likely due
> what they were told to say or not say.)

 It has been apparent over the past few years that various attempts were
 made to control the personalities of the airstaff, but all in all,
their
 personalities seem to shine through - no matter what.  Back when Jim
Sands
 was doing some daytime fill-in, an edict was handed down that trivia
had to
be used in the talk-ups of songs.  It sounded so bad, so contrived and
so hokey.
Lasted about a 3 days.  Patrick Callahan injects some trivia (even when
he
isn't doing the Thursday Night Countdown) and it sounds pretty natural.

> I must admit that I'm not crazy about their new jingles and IDs, but I
suppose
> it's a matter of getting used to them.

Like the employees at Wang said when management forced them to use Wang
Software that was slow, clunky and poorly thought-out "Yes, we could get
used
to it - just like we could get used to having only one leg - doesn't
mean we have
to like it!"

I find the new jingle package a mish-mash of mediocre jingles with
little or no bottom
and overly strident in the mid-range.  One sounded like a gospel choir,
another sounded
like the singers dropped down a half-note at the end - didn't mesh well
with the opening
note of the song, at all.  For wx, they're using the first half of the
old Weather Donut
and a new second half that just doesn't work right.

I must admit, I miss the old jingles, but at least the new ones should
sound better than
they do.

Roger Kirk