RE: Today's L(garble)T(garble)A(garble)R

Dan Strassberg wrote:

>>Snip<<

>Too late for Christmas, but if you've got the money
>(should be less than $65, and with luck about $45) or if
>your folks want to give you a not-Christmas present,
>look for a GE Super Radio III.

>>Snip<<

>The quality varies from
>unit to unit, suggesting that wherever you shop, you
>should look for a place that has a good exchange policy.
>If you get a good SR III, it's dollar for dollar the
>best choice for AM DX.

I have serious reservations right now about the Superradio III. A Superradio
III unit I examined at a Sears store seemed to have about as bad a build
quality as I have ever seen on peice of electronic gear. It felt like the
knobs would fall off it, and the swtiches would break in about half an hour.
Inexcusably flimsy, construction, IMHO. If the Rat Shack Superadio clone is
worse - and I'll take your word for it - but that would be beyond my
imagination.

I think that Thompson/GE needs to raise the price of the Superadio by $20 to
$30 if that could go into better over all build quality. They are very
clearly cutting way too many corners. I know however, that the Superadio III
might not be marketable to the masses at my proposed price points.

73, de Hakim (N1ZFF)