Re: Today's L(garble)T(garble)A(garble)R

If you're serious about AM dXing, you need a more
selective radio, which would not pick up WPRO or WSM on
630. Too late for Christmas, but if you've got the money
(should be less than $65, and with luck about $45) or if
your folks want to give you a not-Christmas present,
look for a GE Super Radio III. The quality varies from
unit to unit, suggesting that wherever you shop, you
should look for a place that has a good exchange policy.
If you get a good SR III, it's dollar for dollar the
best choice for AM DX. There are many better radios, but
they cost a lot more.

Radio Shack has an SR III clone, and I guess that if you
can find one that works well, it's as good as the SR
III, but I understand that the RS unit has such awful
quality that it makes the SR III seem to have been
assembled by Malcolm Baldrige himself. Serious DXers who
are also proficient with soldering on pc-boards and with
aligning radios have attacked the RS unit, and those
with enough skill, time, patience, and appropriate tools
have been able to make it perform as it was designed to,
which is very well. But when most people spend $50 or
$60 on a radio, they don't want to spend weeks making it
work satisfactorily.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205