Re: Today's L(garble)T(garble)A(garble)R

Simple answer--pattern symmetry. A linear array produces a pattern that is
symmetrical about the line of towers. Back in the days when WHYN's array was
designed, there were few or no computer tools for designing arrays other
than linear ones or ones that consisted of parallel lines of towers. A
parallelogram array would probably have required a larger site and
definietely would have required four towers vs the three that were used.
A few not-quite-linear three-tower arrays were designed back then; in fact
WMKI has had one since its WNAC days.

However, WHYN's array design was clearly appropriate given the very
small transmitter site (the towers are very closely spaced in terms of the
number of electrical degrees between them; any array for a station at 560
has to be large in absolute terms), the lack of a real need to produce one
very deep null and other shallower ones (which is what not-quite-linear
arrays usually produce), the fact that the population density west-northwest
of the site was not high, and the fact that the market was well served by
the main lobe to the southeast. In addition, there is or was a Canadian
station in western Ontario (Kirkland Lake if memory serves) and the null at
285 degrees may have provided a necessary reduction in nighttime field
toward it. Also, during the day, the null at 285 degrees protected WSYR,
but the subsequent grant of WCKL proves that that protection was not needed.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205, eFax 707-215-6367