Re: Today's L(garble)T(garble)A(garble)R

Yes to the WGAN question. WHYN's day and night patterns have four nulls. The
pattern shapes appear identical, except that the field strength at night is
lower because of the lower power. The azimuth of the line of towers is 135
degrees and, since the towers are in-line, the patterns are symmetrical
about that line. The radiation maximum is toward the southeast--at 135
degrees--almost directly toward the AM 550 in Pawtucket. Radiation is
suppressed around an arc of more than 180 degrees centered at 315 degrees,
which is northwest. There nulls are at 48 degrees (northeast to protect
WGAN), 222 degrees (southwest to protect WFIL), 285 degrees (west northwest;
there was no WCKL when WHYN moved to 560 but this is the null that made WCKL
possible), and 345 degrees (close to due north; there are--or were--lots of
Canadian stations on 560 and this null probably protects one of them).
During the daytime, this null may also protect WDEV.

I wonder whether the Pawtucket station moved from 1380 (its original
frequency) to 550 at the same time as WHYN increased its day power to 5 kw.
(I believe that WHYN was 1 kW-U DA-1 when it first moved to 560.) If so,
there might have been a hearing that resulted in each station agreeing to
accept daytime interference from the other. It's hard to imagine that there
isn't at least a small amount of normally prohibited overlap; WHYN sends the
equivalent of nearly 20 kW toward Providence.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205, eFax 707-215-6367