Re: Today's L(garble)T(garble)A(garble)R

From: "Dan Strassberg" <dan.strassberg@att.net>
said on Monday, December 24, 2001 3:37 PM:

> Adam said that WHYN consistently pulls the highest ratings among all
Western
> MA AMs. Now, if Springfield, Holyoke, and other communities in the
> Connecticut Valley but inside of Massachusetts constitute the area covered
> by the ratings, I can understand that. WHYN does come in well in those
> communities. But, to me, Western MA also includes places such as
Pittsfield,
> North Adams, Great Barrington, and Williamstown.

Dan, you must be from metro Boston, where everything beyond Route 495, even
Worcester, is "western Massachusetts."  LOL  (Just kidding, but did you ever
notice how the Boston TV weather maps end at Worcester?)
Anyway, the term "western Mass.," to those of us who live out here, refers
to the three western counties of Hampshire (Northampton and Amherst),
Hampden (Springfield, Chicopee, Holyoke, Westfield), and Franklin
(Greenfield).  Pittsfield and the other towns up and down Route 7 are
considered, to us, to be in the Berkshires.  There are 52 miles between
Northampton and Pittsfield, and those 52 miles are mostly covered with what
people in Northampton call the "Hilltowns".  The metro Pittsfield area (if
it can be called that) generally gets lumped into Albany market ratings,
since the Albany stations come in great all over the Berkshires.

Brian Anastasi