Re: more on Eddie Andleman/ Herald article

Of longer term interest is whether Andleman's show will
air nationally or just on WWZN. I really doubt whether
Andleman's homer approach can play in other markets, and
if he tries to tone it down to appeal to a national
audience, he will lose a lot of appeal to Boston fans,
most of whom are scarcely known for their objectivity.

But if this is a local show, it certainly demonstates
Paul Allen's commitment to making a success of the
languishing asset (that is WWZN--or as it was then
known, WNRB), which SNR's predecessor company, One on
One Sports, acquired for $12 million.

If Andleman's show is local, I suspect that WWZN will be
airing _way_ more local programming than either of SNR's
other two O&Os, WSNR Newark (New York) and KMPC Los
Angeles. Moreover, the idea that local programming is
essential to the success of sports talk kind of flies in
the face of the whole idea behind SNR.

BTW, of interest to radio techno geeks (like me) is the
application that Allen's Rose City Radio has filed on
behalf of WSNR to move the station's transmiter site
from its "temporary" location in Lyndhurst NJ to
Parsippany NJ, just a few miles north of the site the
station lost in 1998. This is an incredibly detailed
engineering document whose preparation most likely cost
hundreds of grand.

Moving the site west almost 20 miles as the applied-for
facilities would do, ought to substantially reduce the
complaints of an unlistenable signal in much of the New
York metro. The highly directional signal is plagued by
severe phase distortion except in a small arc "in front"
of the pattern. On a recent trip to the area, I heard
the distortion near White Plains New York, which is
hardly "behind" the pattern.

It is unclear, however (to me, at least), whether there
is any likelihood whatever of WSNR's getting
environmental approval to construct the proposed seven-
tower array in what shows on the map as a swamp (or as
environmentalists prefer to call it, a wetland). The
photos in one of the attachments to the application
depict a wooded area. Can a wetland be wooded? I thought
that reeds and brush grew in wetlands, but not trees.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205