Re: WHOM/WPKQ STL Question

Remember that, to a first order, the effective power of
an FM station increases as the square of HAAT. Until it
moves to the TV-4 tower (anybody know when that will
happen?) 'GBH-FM's HAAT will remain 650'. Full Class Cs
are allowed 100 kW at 2000'. WHOM's coverage is even
greater--48 kW at 3700', which is roughly equivalent to
150 kW at 2000'. In other words, from the Great Blue
Hill site, WGBH-FM would have to increase its power by a
factor of something like 15 to achieve a coverage radius
equal to WHOM's. Conversely, if there were a site with
an HAAT of 3700' in the Boston area and 'GBH-FM used it,
the station would have to reduce its power to about 3 kW
to maintain its existing coverage.

Put yet another way, a full Class C FM is, in effect,
about 30 times as powerful as a full Class B FM. WHOM is
effectively almost 50 times as powerful as a full Class
B, and 'GBH-FM is about three times as powerful as a
full Class B.

Now, if you hold HAAT constant, coverage radii do not
increase in direct proportion to power. The radius
increases as some root of the power. I don't know which
root, but I suspect that it's more like the cube root
than the square root.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205