Re: names names names

In a message dated 12/10/01 10:21:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
scott@fybush.com writes:

>  >There's a great story told by Clarke Ingram about meeting another guy
>  >in Pittsburgh (his home town) who was using his name as an air name.
>  >
>  >(Clarke also spent some time working for Z100 in New York while Dan --
>  >no relation -- was on CBS-FM... never caused any problems, although
>  >you could easily imagine those famous Dan Ingram jingles recut for
>  >Clarke.)
>
>  Paging Ken R? :-)
>
>  Clarke's story (and I'm cc'ing this to him in hopes that he'll reply with
>  the whole thing verbatim)

Oh, but of course.  It happened in October of 1987.  I was in Arizona and
came back to visit Pennsylvania just before leaving KZZP in Phoenix to take
the PD job at KRQ in Tucson.  While I was in Pittsburgh, a friend of mine
told me about this fellow who was using my name and that he was working at
the station in St. Mary's PA, WKYN (aka 97-KYN).

I decided to pay the faux Mr. Ingram a visit and piled a couple of radio
friends of mine in the car for the trip.  Scott Fybush is right about the
dirt road and trailer.  In fact the station was located deep in the middle of
the Elk National Forest!  We had to stop at a convenience store for
directions (the trailer was located in Rasselas, look THAT up on a map) and
then drove literally through the underbrush to find the place.

Finally we found the trailer.  I knocked on the door.  Scott got the exchange
almost right.  It went like this:

ME: Are you Clarke Ingram?
HIM:    Yes.  (looking a little nervous)
ME: Well, SO AM I!!

And thus began a great friendship.  Phlash, as he is better known today,
invited me in, and we did about an hour together on the air, including his
explanation of how he got my name.  (The GM, a fellow named Bob Stevens who
turned out to be someone I knew, thought he sounded like me.)  Phlash also
had something I didn't: a "Clarke Ingram" shout!  So I dubbed it onto a reel
and used it in Tucson.  Ah, radio.

Phlash later worked for me in Rochester when he was between jobs.  He did the
late night shift (10pm-2am) for about three months, back when there were
actually jocks doing late-nights in radio.

And now for the punchline: When I was doing afternoons at B-94 in 1994,
someone called me on the request line to ask if I was the Clarke Ingram from
St. Mary's!

cheers,

Clarke