Re: 'Air' miles

Sean Smyth inquired,

> Often I've heard some posters here (Dan S.?) note that they
> live X 'air' miles from a transmitter site (i.e. "as the crow
> flies"). My question is this: Are there any web sites out there
> that would give a precise number of air miles between two
> different points?

Here are a couple of straight forward *spherical* distance
calculators:

          http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~cvm/latlongdist.html

          http://www.mercury.demon.co.uk/dist/dodist.html

If you want a more precise *spheroidal* calculation (equatorial
radius [a] ~=~ 6378 km, polar radius [b] ~=~ 6356 km--specific
spheroid models vary up to .5-1 km, with the most "precise",
current values being a = 6378.135 and b = 6356.75), here is the
place to go:

          http://www.best.com/~williams/gccalc.htm

If, OTOH, you want to plot perimeters of a radius at a given point,
try Uncle Charlie:

          http://www.fcc.gov/mmb/asd/bickel/plot/radius.html

     ~Kaimbridge~

-----