Smooth Jazz-NAC

The past few days I've been listening to CD 101.9
(WQCD New York) quite a bit, and I've noticed a few
things about their programming.  First off, they seem
to play a LOT of soft AC tracks, much more than I
actually expected a smooth jazz station to play.  Now,
I will admit that I've never really listened to
Jazz/NAC stations very much (not one of my personal
favorites), but is this practice commonplace in other
markets outside NYC as well?  Or is this just a "NYC"
thing because thats the "spin" of the format that
sells best there...

                           Matt Osborne
                           Hyde Park, NY