Re: Dual Frequency Day & Night

From:    dan.strassberg@att.net
To:      "Bill O'Neill" <billo@shoreham.net>
Subject: Re: Dual Frequency Day & Night
Date:    Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:41:37 +0000

No. The way the applications were filed made it look as
if WMET was proposing dual-frequency operation, but that
was not the case. The station has been (and still is) on
1150 with, I think, 1 kW-D/500W-N DA-2. The first
application filed was to move to 1160 with 50 kW-D from
the existing site and probably the existing five towers
but with no change in the night operation. More than six
months later, the other shoe dropped; WMET filed to move
its night service to 1160 with 1.5 kW DA. So the
proposed operation is 1160 kHz 50 kW-D/1.5 kW-N DA-2.

The other Baltimore-area station you are thinking of is
WWLG (currently on 1360 full time), not WBIS 1190, which
is a (10 kW) daytimer. WBIS had a full-time grant (to
add 500W-N and change COL). after it was sold, WBIS
turned in that CP and then reapplied to change TX sites
and increase to 50 kW-D DA-D with slightly different D
and CH patterns. At that point, WBIS was proposing to
remain a daytimer. Even later though, WBIS filed for
something like 240W night from a different site (that
is, neither the old site nor the new day site).

WWLG is still on 1360. It used to operate with 5 kW-D
and 2.2 kW-N DA-2 from separate sites on opposite sides
of Baltimore. A couple of years ago, WWLG lost its day
site and has been operating full-time from the night
site using something like 250W-D ND-D but with no change
in its night operation.

WWLG applied for, was granted, and built, but has not
put on the air, new daytime facilities on 1370 with 21
kW-D from a six-tower almost-in-line array near Havre de
Grace, on the shore of Chesapeake Bay more than 20 miles
northeast of Baltimore. That application/CP made it look
as if WWLG was proposing dual-frequency operation (1370
days, 1360 nights). Again, the appearance and the facts
differed. After co-owned WCBM finally got its grant to
move its TX west and increase to 50 kW-D/20 kW-N DA-2
(after a l-o-n-g hearing that involved several other
stations and weiredness I'll save for another post),
WWLG let the other shoe drop. It will also move its
night operation to 1370 and will operate nights with 6
kW DA from a new four-tower array at the former WCBM
site.

For a time, it appeared that WWLG was to become the
first US AM to operate on a frequency third adjacent to
another AM licensed to the same city. (In Mexico, there
are _many_ instances of AMs on third-adjacent channels
licensed to the same city, but none in the US or Canada
even though the relaxed rules appear to now allow such
cases.) There is a Class C AM, WWIN, on 1400 in
Baltimore. However, when WWLG moves to 1370 it will have
a new COL.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205