Re: Dual Frequency Day & Night

From:    dan.strassberg@att.net
To:      "Sean Smyth" <Sportswriter@dejazzd.com>
Subject: Re: Dual Frequency Day & Night
Date:    Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:53:38 +0000

Actually, WBIV was moving _down_ the dial and, for a
time, broadcast on 890 days and 1060 nights. Also, for a
time the station IDed as WBIV Natick _and_ WBMA Dedham.
This was a dual ID heard on _one_ frequency, that is,
the ID was heard on 890 during the day, and if anyone
could pick it up, on 1060 at night. There is or was an
audio clip of such an ID at the Boston Radio Archives.

Turns out that, as odd as this sounded, the ID by no
means set a precedent. Such dual IDs had been heard
decades earlier when stations (usually ones that shered
time on the same frequency) were merging. I think that
in the 20s or 30s, before WODA and WAAM in the New York
area merged to form WOV (now WADO), the owning companies
had merged (as WODAAM Corp). But the FCC took its time
about allowing the two stations to combine, so according
to what I read, they IDed as WODA and WAAM. I think
that, just as with WBIV and WBMA, the COLs were
different and the idea of depriving a comunity of a
broadcast service probably dominated the FCC's
deliberations. In the case of WODA and WAAM, however,
both stations operated on the same frequency at
different times, although each station may have had its
own transmitter site.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205