Re: Hub TV in Western Mass....

Dan Billings wrote:

 >If the lawmaker wants to pass a state law to force the cable companies to
 >carry Boston TV stations, the cable companies could probably argue
 >successfully in court that the federal most-carry rules have preempted the
 >field and the states can't pass laws regulating what stations cable
 >companies carry.

OTOH, cable franchise contracts are negotiated on a town-by-town basis.
I believe that if the contract requires that the cable company carry
specific stations/channels, then they must carry them, regardless of the
federal must-carry rules (which only state minimum requirements).

The big variable is the relative strength of the local individual cable
commissions.  Strong cable commission = greater bargaining power at
renewal time.

There may be other contractual issues to be settled, but those would be
between the cable company and the individual local stations.

-
Tony Abruzzese                  e-mail: abruzzese@biochem.bumc.bu.edu
Network Administrator                         Biochemistry Department
               Boston University School of Medicine
Telephone:617.638.5092                               Fax:617.638.5339