Re: Bruins Network (was: RE: 640 AM Frequency)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Mixer" <mixer@zoso.net>
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2001 7:40 PM
Subject: Re: Bruins Network (was: RE: 640 AM Frequency)

> You mean to tell me there are no longer any stations in the southern part
> of Maine that cover the Bruins???!?!!!? That is rediculous, I think that
> is pretty sad that the only Bruins coverage is the studio right down the
> hall from me in this whole STATE.

With the Bruins on WBZ, there is little need for radio affiliates in the
southern half of Maine.  WBZ comes in like a local.

Last season, the Bruins were on the Big Jab Stations (95.5 // 900 // 1440),
but they dropped the Bruins when the stations became the flagship stations
for the Portland Pirates.

Even before the Bruins went to WBZ, they never had much of a radio network
in Maine.  I think that is due, in part, to the Celtics and basketball being
more popular and Maine stations carrying minor league hockey since the
1970s, first the Maine Mariners and now the Portland Pirates.

UPN 35, which carries the Sox games on TV, dropped the Bruins after one
season.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine