Re: What's JJ up to?

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Dan Billings wrote:

> > I truly respect broadcasters, corporate or individuals,
> > who are willing to make an effort to keep the industry interesting and
> fun.
> > there's no rule anywhere that says you can't truly enjoy what you do and
> > still make some decent money.
>
> Fair enough. My point is that, IMHO, JJ is not living up to that standard.
> >From listening to his stations, other than with WRED, he is not doing things
> differently than corporate broadcasters.  He is running things on the cheap
> with few employees.  That may be out of necessity, but I think if Clear
> Channel was running the Big Jab and WLOB the same way, you would not be
> praising them.  I think we also agree he is not making any money.  So what's
> the point?

Hi Dan and Chuck- I like both of you guys and am not going to try to jump
in the middle. But O honestly see both of your points.

I personally applaud someone like JJ, who could most likely, with all of
his business expirience, get involved doing something else and could
probably make six figures a year. He obviously would not be able to do
that with being a radio owner in places like Portland, Brunswick, and
Saco...

Of course he is doing the same things that he did before. While he and Bob
Fuller owned WBLM they always kept it love, with at least someone in the
studio at all times. Even on Christmas of 1998 Paul Baker was there for
many hours. I met him the next day and he is the man responsible for
getting me interested in this business

I can't talk about portland, but I know for a fact that WKIT is the only
station in Bangor that will have a staff on Christmas day all day, chances
are i will be one of the people on the air that day. Many people would
hate to workl on Christmas, but I am proud of the fact that I might
actually get a chance to do a shift during the day! That's besides the
point though, I am pretty sure that no other stations in Bangor will have
anyone working. One one hand, you can call it treating their employees
well. On the other hand, you could call it a way to save money, just
voicetrack or play music all day. And then you don't have to pay holiday
pay...

> Can you name any operators in Maine before consolidation that met the
> standard you suggest?  I understand that there were a lot more jobs before
> consolidation and that made it a lot easier to make a living in radio, but I
> don't think most of the operators at the time were more benevolent employers
> or that interested in keeping broadcasting fun.

The unfortunate truth is that nice guys finish last. I KNOW Cumulus pulled
a LOT of dirty BS to get where they are, I know Citidel did, and it's
obvious that Clear Channel did. I have heard a lot of stories. Now, I hear
and have expirienced good things with Cumulus, and I have had good things
about Citidel. Clear Channel on the other hand, I hear more horror stories
all the time. Don't get me wrong, I do not hate Clear Channel because they
own the biggest competition to the station I work at! I hate them because
of what they have done to friends of mine, how they have destroyed the
character of many radio stations that once made them stand out. A Clear
Channel classic rock station in bangor will sound the same as one in
Seattle. This goes the same for all corperate companies, and I admit that
both Cumulus and Clear Channel were responsible for destroying a very
unique station such as WTOS. That station is NOTHING compared to what it
was when I used to be able to pick it up clearly in Saco in the early to
mid 90's.

I also want to applaud Citadel for putting the Dr. Demento show back on
WBLM after over a decade off the air in southern Maine. This is a big
decision, something that only interests a small portion of the station's
audience, and attracts a completely different crowd of people to the
station. And not a lot of stations carry it anymore. I know this from the
amount of listeners that call or email WKIT while I am board opping the
show as it broadcasts online. And for a nationally syndicated show, this
show seems to have a lot less of a following then a lot of syndicated
programming.

Ok I have a tendency to ramble :) My whole point is this- I doubt JJ is
making a lot of money with the what....5? 6? radio stations he owns. He
will most likely get more, and you know what? he might eventually sell
them all to as corperate company. Yes, I really do not like the idea of
corperate radio. However, as a local business owner, sometimes you have to
make decisions based on logic. I am sure it was a tought decision for Bob
and JJ to sell their radio empire, especially a station like WBLM which
while they did not create, they nutured into the powerhouse that it is
today. You gotta give them credit.

JJ is a businessman who loves radio. I have NEVER met the man and I can
tell this and I completely respect that. If Stephen King were to sell WKIT
would I be upset with him? No, I know I'd probably lose a lot of hours,
maybe even my job.....but being a local owner of a radio station is a
tough thing these days. THAT is why I admire JJ. Honestly, if Clear
Channel was running the stations the same way I would be suprised. JJ,
from what I have heard, is a very good guy to work for. A lot of Clear
Channel people might screw you over.....and would not treat their
employees as well.

A local owner is trying to save money these days to make things as cost
efficient as possible. A corperate owner is usually saving money so they
can make more. That is where the fine line is. I truly beleive JJ stayed
in the business because he loves what he is doing. He could have retired
with the money he saved from the Citadel sale. He didn't, he kept a couple
stations and went out and built his own radio group. For that I personally
feel he deserves a lot of respect.

OK I am done :)

Jeremy