Re: 640 AM Frequency

There's a 50 kW-U AM 640 in Toronto with TX on the south
shore of Lake Ontario and a highly directional signal to
the north (eight or nine towers, I think) and there's a
10 kW-U NONDIRECTIONAL AM 640 in Newfoundland. (When the
NF station moved to 640--probably in 1941, NF had not
yet become part of Canada. Newfoundland is more than
4000 miles from LA. So at the time, KFI was the only
station in the US or Canada on 640 between Los Angeles
sunset and local sunrise in Norman OK.)

I don't know the format of the NF station, but I think
the Toronto station has a talk format. The calls used to
be CHOG, but I think they've changed. I think Adam was
trying to identify a station he heard doing talk on 640
when WNNZ was off. I suppose that Adam _might_ have
heard KFI. Before all of the other stations were built
on 640, KFI was an occasional DX catch here in the east,
but now it must be _very_ rare.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205