Re: WMEX Schedule in the 60's

>Rick wrote--
>
>Seems to me that Tom Shovan, a WPTR alumnus (along with "Johnny Gardner")
>was a Melvin X Melvin at some point.

In a 1982 interview, the late Tom Shovan said, "Because of the turnover [of
top 40 d.j.s] and Max [Richmond's] opinion that nobody gives a damn about
the jock anyhow-- just the name-- Max created a roster of station
names.  His first morning man, Joe Thomas, used his real name and when he
left, Max said 'Never again.'  From then on, for years, the morning man was
always named 'Fenway'... the mid-day man was always 'Dan Donovan', and I
think the last one was the 28th or 29th to bear that name... Mel Miller was
one of WMEX's originals and he used his own name.  When he left... for
Canada, Max phased him out and named his successor Mel, alternating between
records with Melvin.  This evolved into a house name 'Melvin X Melvin' ...
Later on, Mel Miller came back, using his own name on the air, while the
house name of 'Melvin X. Melvin' continued as well.  There were fewer
Melvin X. Melvins-- I was one of them."