Re: IBOC

Updating firmware on a consumer-type device can be
done safely if the firmware was properly written in
the first place.  It is common to have boot code and
loader code resident in non-modifiable Flash memory.
That way, if an update fails (e.g. power dumps while Flash
is being updated) the loader will still exist to try again.
I once worked for a company that had a unique method
of updating firmeware that was virtually foolproof.
Unfortunately, I am sworn to secrecy about the details
(If I told you, I'd have to......etc.)

Hakim Madjid replied: