Re: radio in '22

<<On Wed, 07 Nov 2001 22:59:14 +0000, dan.strassberg@att.net said:

> was A in _all_ of the AM calls the FRC issued. I suppose
> the A was used in a failed attempt to create a
> distinctive sequence of calls for standard-broadcast
> stations to differentiate them from ships, which also
> used four-letter calls beginning with K and W.

No, it's simpler than that.  In the sequence of assigned four-letter
callsigns, the third letter is the most significant digit.  So after
WZAZ would come WABA.  The 97.3 station in Orange was originally
assigned WFUB as a sequential callsign; I think that the sequence has
now wrapped around.  WFUB was never used on the air, IIRC; the change
to WJDF happened before the CP was built.

-GAWollman