Low UHF channels

<<On Mon, 05 Nov 2001 15:06:47 -0500, "Eli Polonsky" <elipolonsky@hotmail.com> said:

> I know that the lowest few UHF TV channels became occupied by the upper end
> of the UHF public service band (police, businesses, etc...) in many areas
> since the 1970's.

Both Worcester and Providence had low-UHF stations briefly.
Portsmouth, N.H., had an allotment for a non-commercial low-UHF
station; I'm guessing that this was abandoned early on, with channels
11 in Durham and 26 in Biddeford providing all necessary coverage.
Channels 14 (Worcester), 16 (Providence), and 17 (Portsmouth) are now
allocated to the land mobile service, and I think the FCC considers
these to all be a single operational area for frequency-assignment
purposes.  There is still a channel 15 TV allotment at Hanover, N.H.,
and channel 17 is now being used not far from Portsmouth by WCBB-DT in
Augusta.

-GAWollman