ive always wondered

Well, it appears that for many Boston stations it's of utmost importance to
be able to reach as many radios as possible in the workday audience
concentrated right in downtown Boston, and then the suburbs within routes
128 and 495. Beyond that is icing on the cake but not essential.

If you try to listen to WAAF in downtown Boston on a lesser quality tuner,
such as a Walkman, boom-box, clock radio, or a radio inside or among metal
and concrete buildings, it may not be there at all.

I'd guess that if it wasn't difficult (or prehaps legally impossible) that
Entercom would move WAAF's transmitter much closer to Boston. Greater Media
did the work of moving all their FM's (except WKLB) to the Pru because even
signals from the route 128 Newton/Needham towers get interfered with in
downtown Boston. Try listening to WODS or WCRB in the city on a Walkman,
what a mess!

Eli