Propagation 1965--Propagation 1961et al

In early 1958 I was 13 years old and could not afford antenna rotors and deep
fringe antennas when the "grand daddy" of solar cycles reached peak.  I still
have the copy of Radio-Electronics magazine (March 1958) describing the
phenomenon.  Most common was the E skip in previous cycles peaks as well as
present.  But the magazine quoted QSLs of WCBS-TV (NY) being picked up in
Portugal and an East Coast-West Coast skip.  This was an F skip, and at least
at the time highly unusual. That summer a friend of mine was visiting a buddy
of his in Wilkinsburg, PA just outside of Pittsburgh.  KDKA just a few miles
away almost completely faded out.

In spring 1961, I was a teenager living in Silver Spring, MD: some six miles
from ch 4,5,7,9 and thirty-eight miles from ch 2, 10, 11.  All these stations
were in or very close to "A" grade reception area.  It was a Saturday morning
and there appeared to be a station coming in under Channel 2 in Baltimore
which again was some 38 miles away and at max power.  I called a friend who
had the same dx fantasies as I did.  He aimed his antenna toward the west and
picked up the same station.  We determined it must be KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh
some 280 miles toward the west.  We were shocked to hear the ID as "Channel
2, Tulsa."  We telephoned the station and got hold of the engineer.  He asked
us to make a tape (audio in those days) and send it to him.  As was the case
in those days a wonderful QSL personal letter was sent.  All through that
summer the minor flaring off the sun set off E skip after E skip.  We
received QSLs from Tulsa, Omaha, Wichita, Temple, TX, Jackson, MS, Rapid
City, SD, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Chicago, IL.  The general time frame for each
of these was in the latter part of the day when the sun was setting.  This is
when the sun does weird things to the atmosphere as anyone who has witnessed
the "green flash" knows.

In the summer of '95 I picked up FM stations in Louisiana from off the coast
of Cape Hatteras.  The solar cycle (and there are more than one) continue to
affect our communications and weather.  But so far the use of satellites has
made the impact on communications much less than what it was.  Manmade global
warming has at least in our minds overwhelmed the massive effect these cycles
make on our weather.