RE: Wireless phone question

Scri/obh Bill O'Neill:

>If you have your cell phone on (not on the line) is the phone signal
>traceable?  Not sure how the technology works.  It seems that the phone
must
>send a signal to the tower/voter system, or am I not even close?

Basically you're right on. While the details differ according to the type of
wireless system, in most wireless (cellular/pcs) systems when your phone is
on standby, it periodically sends a data packet to the cellular system
(nearby tower) so that the system knows the phone is on and ready to receive
a call. In most systems, the cellular system can poll the individual phone
also.

In the mid 90s the FCC mandated that cellular system operators be able to
locate individual phones. Law enforcement agencies such as the FBI lobbied
for this of course. And the other reason offered by the FCC would was that
it would enable enhanced 911 service over wireless phones. This FCC mandate,
which hasn't been fully implemented by the wireless carriers as of yet is of
course taking on new urgency in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 Terrorist
attacks.

73, de Hakim (N1ZFF)