Re: 1996 communications act question

I don't have the particulars in front of me, but the 1996 Act included
specific numerical limits on the number of stations, based on market size.
I seem to remember that the most a company could have was 8 in a market,
with no more than 5 on one band.  Limits are lower if there are few stations
in a market.  I'm sure someone can come up with the specifics.

The market ratings limit is the standard the Justice Department has used to
challenge station sales under the antittrust laws.  Those standards are
interpretations of the antitrust laws and are not contained in the 1996 Act.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine