Re: Alternate site backups

<<On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:35:32 -0700 (PDT), Martin Waters <martinjwaters@yahoo.com> said:

> And even with cable, some questions pop up. Are there
> some cable systems, especially farther out, that don't
> have direct connections or satellite, but take the
> signal off the air?

According to my colleague whose parents live there, the cable system
in New Rochelle -- not ``far out'' by any means -- uses off-air
pickup.  This is particularly puzzling since both of the major
operators in the New York metro (Time Warner and Cablevision) have
fiber networks connecting their headends.  New Rochelle is an ex-TCI
system; perhaps Cablevision hasn't gotten around to networking there
yet.

-GAWollman