Re: "WBZ Boston, USA"

Joe P wrote:

I Don't like when they 'name' "war programming".<<

Amen to that.  I know that we've already grimmaced at
the fact that the tv networks all flashed graphics,
music and voice overs before the noon hour tolled on
9/11.  i think that the stations and networks need to
return to their normal positioning statements as well,
as Joe pointed out.  however... i can't think of one
that would make such a move first.
     we hear so much about the impact of all of this on
our young children.  i've already tried, without
success, to impart upon my 8 year old that we're not at
war with another country.  we're at war with an idea.
when all is said and done, there'll be no land to divide
or loot to split.  hopefully what will come from this is
a new understanding of all people.  those who committed
the acts of Septemeber 11 were, and are, devoted to
their cause.  their sense of what is right and just is
somewhat different than ours and the rest of the
world's.  so i am very much in favor of losing the "WAR"
graphics and music and big voice intros.  otherwise,
our's will be a family that will soon join the growing
legions of SpongeBob/SquarePants fans.  (we're already
hooked on Pinky and the Brain, even though Brain wants
to try and take over the world.)

and for Donna:  there's nothing jingoistic about being
proud of where we are.  i find the "sudden realization"
by broadcasters of where we are (USA) more
reprehensible.  other than WKLB or WOKQ, who else was
playing anything nearly patriotic? (example being Lee
Greenwood's "God Bless The USA")  I do note that 107.5
WTHT up here in Portland is among a handful of stations
who have had a long-standing practice of playing our
National Anthem at noon each day.  am i saying that
every station in America should be formatting their
product to address the Patriot in all of us?  no.
(besides, look what being a Patriot did to Drew this
weekend... get well soon.  we need you!!!) i do think
that there's nothing wrong with showing our colors on a
regular basis.
   i'll also make note that before the run on the local
Wal-Mart, i've proudly flown the flag of the United
States of America for many years from the front of my
home.  So much so that we've already done one
replacement, complete with the proper, ceremonial
disposal service conducted by our South Portland
American Legion.  and i know there are many others who
have, and continue to do so, proudly, without a
jingoistic thought having been given beforehand.

- -Chuck Igo