Re: Alternate Site Backups

Other than WBZ does _any_ Boston-area AM have an
auxiliary TX at a separate location? WEEI could
definitely transmit from the WRKO site and WRKO could
most likely transmit from the WEEI site. Moreover, I
suspect that each station has a 50-kW backup that could
be retuned for the other frequency. But I doubt very
much that the filter networks that would allow diplexing
are in place at either site.

If one site were rendered inoperable, my guess is that
it would take six weeks of furious activity to get the
station back on the air at anything close to full power
from the other site--and that would require the utmost
cooperation from equipment suppliers. Now suppose that
this were to happen as the result of a terrorist attack.
Just where would we get our civil-defense information?

On the other hand, either station could probably be up
and running with 5 kw or so nondirectional from the
other site in a metter of days. But in a civil-defense
emergency would days be acceptable?

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205