Re: Alternate Site Backups

Unless it got taken down in a collapse of the big tower,
the little tower would enable the station to say it was
still on the air. I think, though, that today, the
backup site for all TV stations is cable (and satellite
systems that carry local stations). With approximately
70% cable and satellite coverage nationwide, you can
make a strong case that TV stations don't need
terrestrial over-the-air backup sites.

Now, cable and satellite don't help me; I have neither
one, but I'm part of a small (and shrinking) minority.

I gather that the New York metro, or at least the five
boroughs, are (or were) atypical as well. If the claim I
heard that only 1/3 of New Yorkers have cable is true
(is it?), I would think that the WTC collapse would turn
into a bonanza for the NYC cable systems. Nobody has
said what kind of power 4, 5, 7, and 13 will be running
from Alpine, but even if it's the maximum, a lot of
people (especially in Brooklyn) are likely to have
serious reception problems with the over-the-air
signals. Nearly all of these people are likely to order
cable.

(I know that 2 is on the ESB, so nearly everyone will be
able to receive CBS over the air. And don't 9, 11, and a
lot of the UHF stations plan to operate from sites other
than Alpine? Still, it's hard to imagine that, from any
site other than ESB, a station can really cover the New
York metro without help from cable and satellite.)
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205