National v nationalist

Somehow I messed up in reply and it didn't get posted,  I'll try again

> On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:40:23 -0400 Richard Chonak
> <rac@gabriel.cambridge.ma.us> writes:
> >
> > Well, here's a data point from another source, the US Government.
>
> > The
> > CIA Factbook lists Puerto Rico as a country, and speaks of the
> > nationality "Puerto Rican":

Actually it says  Nationality:  noun   Puerto Rican(s) (US citizens)
                                            adjective   Puerto Rican

> > http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/rq.html
> >
> > I'm starting to think that it is correct to refer to a "Puerto
> Rican
> > national" in the news, although such nationals are US citizens.

I failed to locate where the CIA Factbook listed Puerto Rico as an
independent country, as a matter of fact under Independence it says:
"None commonwealth associated with the US"

under government it lists President as George W. Bush and Vice President
as Richard B. Chenney.  Last time I checked these are the same guys
running the show here.

again quoting the ol' Funk & Wagnall

National - Adj.  1. belonging to a nation as a whole: opposed to local.
2. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a nation as distinguished from
other nations. 3. Patriotic. 4. Authorized by a national government. -
Noun, one who is a member of a nation.

So, to call a Puerto Rican a "National"  the proper term would be "US
National".

DF