From: owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
[mailto:owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org]On Behalf Of A.
Joseph Ross
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2001 9:59 PM
To: Dan Billings
Cc: Boston Interest Radio Group Thingy
Subject: Re: OFF LIST Re: Moment of Radio Silence (was: Clear Channel
"Network)

On 14 Sep 2001, at 0:57, Dan Billings wrote:

> I'm trying to keep my posts on subject.  We are actually studying the
> religion clauses of the First Amendment this week in Con Law II.  The
> Supreme Court has found unconstitutional an Alabama statute authorizing a
> daily moment of silence in public schools.  The Court found that the
moment
> of silence was intended to promote prayer and therefore was an
> establishment of religion, a violation of the First Amendment.

And exactly how did the school present the moment of silence to
students?  As a moment for prayer?

Within the past week, the Supreme Court refused to review a Court of
Appeals ruling upholding a moment of silence in another school system.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210          lawyer@attorneyross.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503           http://www.attorneyross.com