Re: Thoughts on the week's events & coverage

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, TC Cheever wrote:

> I have to vehemently disagree with the idea that any station's ownership
> or management, TV or Radio, is somehow unpatriotic, cold-hearted, or
> purely profit-minded because they didn't switch to all-news coverage
> after the attack, or because they did but didn't keep that up for more
> than a day.

We switched all four of our stations and our national network over to a
news feed from WCVB(TV) Tuesday morning as soon as we could get permission
from Channel 5.  After a brief meeting, we decided to go back to music at
6 P.M. on the network stations and 7 P.M. on the Boston station, but run
no spots until Wednesday morning.

Patriotism was not talked about; at issue was how best to serve our
listeners and our network affiliates, some of which are two- or
three-person operations with little or no news resources.

We went back to normal programming, including spots, Wednesday morning
except for a couple of break-ins for special news reports. Our reasoning
was that listeners would want a return to normalcy.

We remain ready to break in and go to news if there are any more crises.

Rob Landry
umar@nerodia.wcrb.com